[Dovecot] Gettings mails recently moved to a folder

Mon Dec 2 19:24:26 EET 2013

Am Montag, 2. Dezember 2013, 09:29:54 schrieb Charles Marcus:
> > Problem may be that in my database home and mail location is identical
> > (and
> > there is no way to change that). Is there a way to tell dovecot that every
> > mailbox is a maildir without modifying the database?
>
> There are very good reasons why this is broken...
>
> And I highly doubt that it *can't* be changed... you just don't want to
> go through the pain, right?
>
> Personally, I think you should rethink this decision, but if you still
> 'can't, then learn to live with the pain.

Actually I don't really understand why that is so strictly enforced as a
number of dovecot tools (deliver, doveadm) refuse to work while imap is
working perfectly without any additional settings or workarounds.

My maildir show a number of folders like .*, the usual cur, new, tmp and the
dovecot* files. I don't see any possible name clash there, even without
stat'ing the entries to test if it's a directory.

I just need to disable the mail storage autodetection and set it always
maildir. Prefixing the database entry for the mail field with maildir: changes
nothing.

I've read the warnings about having mail == home but honestly I don't
understand. Sorry if I miss the point here, but I'm eager to learn.

Kind Regards,
Florian