[Dovecot] Dovecot readable compressed mail archive

Dave Hall davehall at cs.binghamton.edu
Wed Dec 4 20:52:36 EET 2013

Hello.

Is Dovecot able to create and/or read any sort of compressed mail
archive?  We have a large installation with a few users who need to keep
a large amount of email available.  With maildir this means a large
number of individual files, leading to additional load on our backup
process.  Even using a compressed mbox file as an archive would help,
but only if Dovecot is able to interact with this file seamlessly while
keeping current email in the maildir format.

Please pardon if this is old business, but I haven't been able to find
any reference to it by searching.

Thanks.

-Dave

--