[Dovecot] backup mdbox best strategy

Robert Schetterer rs at sys4.de
Sat Dec 7 11:04:02 EET 2013

Am 07.12.2013 08:53, schrieb Claus:
> Thanks for your suggestion to use maildir, but
> i'm sure the key problem are the large Number of small files.
> the backup goes first to diskstorage and afterwards to LTO4 Tapes.
> We backup with EMC-Networker. The backuptime of large files (some GB)
> are normal.
>
> I wonder if there is no one who operates a large Mailsystem with mdbox
> and has suggestions to backup this?

you are able to backup and restore mdbox with dsync ( never tested ),
but its not like with maildir simply i.e rsync the mailbox or one only mail
so you may find some combined strategy using both formats depending to
your kind of storage, as people said i wouldnt recommand backup to tape
in a direct way

why not simply do some testing with only one mdbox mailbox , should be
easy with dsync

> Claus
>

> Am 06.12.2013 11:51, schrieb Nick Edwards:
>> Claus,
>> Robert's suggestion is good, we backup maildir, with 5.9TB in 2 hours
>> to SATA , we also run a backup of that backup, so we have two extra
>> copies (this is on top of NAS snapshots)
>> tape is just too slow for anything serious these days.
>>
>> N ik

>>> thanks for your answer,
>>> the main reason we plan to use mdbox is to reduce backuptime.
>>> Now we are using Maildir on cyrus and the (full)-backup takes about 20
>>> hours on one backend storing 150 GB of Mails in about 3 million files.
>>> Because of that we have many backends, so we can parallelize the backup
>>> prozess.
>>>
>>> greets, Claus

Best Regards
MfG Robert Schetterer