[Dovecot] dovecot.index-Errors with multiple IMAP client access in Dovecot 2.2

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sun Dec 8 23:57:55 EET 2013

On 2.12.2013, at 22.25, Martin Rabl <martin.rabl at rablnet.de> wrote:

> My self-compiled dovecot 2.2.6 (and the two minor versions before, too) throws that errors:
>
> Nov 28 18:29:00 mailserv dovecot: imap(martin at example.com): Error: Transaction log /srv/vmail/example.com/martin/Maildir/dovecot.index.log: duplicate transaction log sequence (25)
> Nov 28 18:29:00 mailserv dovecot: imap(martin at example.com): Error: /srv/vmail/example.com/martin/Maildir/dovecot.index log position went backwards (24,40 < 25,10028)

These kind of errors typically happen with NFS and other shared filesystems when there is some trouble with caching or locking.

> I thought about the used reiserfs filesystem on the server, but there were no problems with 1.2 on the same server.

Well, might be .. It definitely shouldn’t be happening on local filesystems that easily.

BTW. You could also try if you can very easily reproduce this with imaptest against a test user: http://imapwiki.org/ImapTest It it immediately fails, try mounting another filesystem and placing the test user’s mails there and if the error continues.