[Dovecot] OT: Large corporate email systems - Exchange vs open source *nix based

Dean deano-dovecot at areyes.com
Tue Dec 10 16:49:27 EET 2013

One of the issues you'll face is that Exchange is much more than just a
mail server.  Once you've begun drinking the Micro$oft koolaid, it's
hard to refuse the rest.  It does offer a large feature set, and tight
integration with a lot of other "things".  That's both good and bad of
course ...

While I may sound like I'm touting Exchange, I think it definitely has
it's place so long as that place is well defined.  If you have
problems/issues that it will solve, then by all means, use it.  But
don't let them cram it down your throat just "because it's industry
standard" or that "we can always sue Micro$oft if it fails" or any other
such nonsense.  Use the right tool for the job.

Personally, I use Exim4/Dovecot/Spamassassin/Roundcube for my domains
and ones that I support.  I have my own auto-installer that can spin up
a fully-configured mail-server like that in about 15 minutes, bootable
on bare-metal or on a cheap VPS.  And I also recommend Exim4 (or
postfix) as the front-end just as you said ...

--
Dean Carpenter
deano is at areyes dot com