[Dovecot] Duplicated (but only for unread) messages after second rsync pass...

Sun Dec 22 17:13:29 EET 2013

Ok, I know I should probably be using dsync for this, but I'm more
familiar with rsync, and didn't think this would be a problem.

Here is what I am doing, and what is apparently happening (only done
this once, but I'm guessing it will happen each time):

rsync -avHP /mnt/vmail/example.com/user1/ /var/vmail/example.com/user1/

chown -R vmail:vmail /var/vmail/example.com

Ok, so far so good, everything works fine accessing the mails (I'm using
Thunderbird).

Now I do another rsync, but this time I did  the entire mailstore:

rsync -avHP /mnt/vmail/example.com/ /var/vmail/example.com/

chown -R vmail:vmail /var/vmail/example.com

Right after I started up dovecot again, I hot a bunch of these in the logs:

2013-12-22T09:52:51-05:00 newhost dovecot: imap(user1 at example.com):
Warning: Maildir /var/vmail/example.com/user1/: Expunged message
reappeared, giving a new UID (old uid=45516,
file=1387468268.Vfe02Ic1343fM845754.oldhost.sub.example.com:2,ST)
2013-12-22T09:52:51-05:00 newhost dovecot: imap(user1 at example.com):
Warning: Maildir /var/vmail/example.com/user1/: Expunged message
reappeared, giving a new UID (old uid=45518,
file=1387468645.Vfe02Ic73e0eM530539.oldhost.sub.example.com:2,ST)

The problem is, it looks like every single message that was flagged as
unread is now duplicated on the new system.

Also - not that this is a problem, but all of the old messages have the
fqdn of the old server in the individual email file names -
oldhost.sub.example.com - while the new ones only have the local
hostname (newhost)

Did I do something wrong? Or is this going to be an unavoidable problem
if I want to use rsync to do the final migration that using dsync would
avoid?

Thanks,

--

Best regards,