[Dovecot] mail_location, user 'home', questions

Thu Dec 26 15:40:34 EET 2013

Hi all,

Ok, another question...

I always like changes to the default settings whenever possible (KISS
principle)...

So, according to the dovecot wiki, the default location for a maildir
setup is:

mail_location = maildir:~/Maildir

However, when I first tried to access mail on the new box, something
wasn't right, and I ended up having to change this to:

mail_location = maildir:~

to get mail to display correctly.

The filesystem for a users maildir currently has everything
(cur/new/tmp, and the individual folders) inside that users directory, ie:

/var/vmail/example.com/user/

Do I need to change this so that everything is under a 'Maildir'
subdirectroy inside the users directory, like:

/var/vmail/example.com/user/Maildir/

?

Also, I'm aware that it is important that even virtual users have valid
'homes', but I'm confused as to where these are (or are supposed to be)
by default.

My sql query currently contains:

user_query = \
   SELECT CONCAT('/var/vmail/', maildir) AS home \
   FROM mailbox WHERE username = '%u'
iterate_query = SELECT username AS user FROM mailbox

So... what exactly is this saying? That the users 'home' is
'/var/vmail'? Or does it automatically append %d/%u?

I'm specifically wondering if the intention for the defaults is for the
users home to be:

/var/vmail/example.com/user

and the users maildirs to be in:

/var/vmail/example.com/user/Maildir

Would appreciate some clarification...

It wouldn't be hard to mv all of the users maildirs to a Maildir
subfolder after the sync, but I want to know for sure that that is what
I should/need to do...

Thanks,

--

Best regards,