[Dovecot] Migrating from Maildir to dbox+SIS... sdbox or mdbox?

Fri Dec 27 20:42:08 EET 2013

Ok...

Now that I've got the niggling issues resolved, on to bigger and better
things.

I want to convert everyone from Maildir to dbox and enable SIS (our
users use a lot of large attachments), and after some reading/googling,
I think it may be better to use dsync instead of rsync for the actual
migration after all since it will do this at the same time as the syncing.

If I'm not mistaken, once I've figured out the correct syntax for the
command, I should be able to do the conversion and migration at the same
time.

So, that is what I want to do, but I still have to choose between sdbox
and mdbox. I tend to feel a little safer with sdbox, just because it
seems more stable - and I like the idea that if a file gets corrupted
somehow, then it is only that one mail that may potentially be lost, but
if mdbox indexes get corrupted, you are guaranteed to lose messages
(maybe a lot)...

But I also really like the idea of an order of magnitude fewer actual
files (would make rsync based backups much faster, etc).

Timo - the last comments I was able to find from you were back in
2011... would you mind commenting on the current stated of dbox -
especially mdbox, as far as reliability goes? The 'scary warnings' about
how important the index files are ... well ... scares me... ;)

I know there were definitely some issues with mdbox a few years ago - I
found the old thread from 2011, but nothing substantial since, so...

So... are there any people here, especially larger installs, using
mdbox? sdbox?

I'd especially be interested in hearing from anyone who has used both,
and picked one over the other, and their reasons for doing so.

Thanks,

--

Best regards,

*/Charles/*