[Dovecot] move mail from server with v1.0 to server w. v2.1?

Frank frank at mclien.de
Mon Feb 4 19:59:30 EET 2013

Steffen Kaiser wrote:

> On Fri, 1 Feb 2013, Frank Lienhard wrote:
>
>> My first attempt was tho simply rsync the Maildirs along with the
>> homes. Both deovecot versions are set up with the maildir format, but
>> this results in ~30% doublicated mails on the new server.
>
> Er, a) you got 30% more files on the new server (aka target), than you
> have on the old server (aka source)??
>
> b) Or do you see them, when you login via IMAP to the the new server?
>
> ===
>
> If a), did you ran rsync, while the source host is in production
> still? Do you use "H" option to preserve hardlinks and/or "--delete"
> if you run rsync multiple times?
>
> If b), did you verified the duplication with a IMAP client, that does
> _no_ caching on its own or with a fresh and empty local cache /
> profile / ... .

I used -avu, where:
-a equals: -rlptgoD (no -H,-A,-X)
-u  skip file that are newer on the receiver

I stopped the getmail cronjob to ensure that no new messages get fetched
while sync. After that I created a new account in Icedove and at first
all went well, but after a while I got duoplicates of abou 900 old
messages.
I admit I only looked that up from Icedove and not in the dir from cli.