[Dovecot] Out of memory after upgrading to dovecot 2.0.21

Arnaud Abélard arnaud.abelard at univ-nantes.fr
Tue Feb 5 23:16:53 EET 2013

On 02/05/2013 09:25 PM, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> On 2/5/2013 12:15 PM, Arnaud Abélard wrote:
>
>> I changed the vsz_limit to 512MB and it seems better, but I'm still
>> surprised my mailbox actually hit the memory limit since I doubt it's
>> most used one.
>
> According to the wiki, vsz_limit only affects login processes, not IMAP
> processes, which is odd given the second error you posted, which seems
> to indicate a relationship between vsz_limit and imap.

Actually, service { vsz_limit } replaced mail_process_size (at least
according to what dovecot said upon restart...) so service imap {
vsz_limit=512MB } which i added earlier actually does what you suggested.

> This error suggests your mail_process_size variable is set too low.  If
> it is currently set to 128MB, increase it to 512MB.  The bulk of this
> memory is used for mmap()ing files, and is virtual, not physical.  Thus
> you don't actually need 51GB of RAM to support 100 users.
>
> Also, a dovecot.index.cache file of size 224MB seems rather large.  My
> largest list mail folder is 150MB, contains 17,647 msgs, and has a
> dovecot.index.cache file of only 16MB.  I use mbox.  This would seem to
> suggest you may have a single folder with tens of thousands of msgs in
> it.  Or maybe indexes are handled differently for your mailbox
> format--I've not used any others.  If the former, I suggest you cull
> your large folders to get them down to manageable size.

Yep I have a huge INBOX folder right now, I haven't archived my 2011
mail yet (I keep the previous year in my INBOX).

Thanks,

Arnaud

--
Arnaud Abélard