[Dovecot] dsync backup questions

Joe Beaubien joe.beaubien at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 06:00:59 EET 2013

On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 10:41 PM, Joe Beaubien <joe.beaubien at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 9:01 PM, Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 2013-02-04 at 00:57 +0000, Ben Morrow wrote:
>> > I can't give authoratitive answers to either of these, but...

>> running

>> as
>> from the
>> keeps on
>> extra

>> extra
>> >
>> > Are you running 'doveadm purge' on the backed-up dbox? It looks to me as
>> > though dsync doesn't do that. I don't know if there's any (simple) way
>> > to do that without a running Dovecot instance attached the dbox
>> > directory: it's not entirely clear to me whether doveadm will run
>> > locally without contacting a doveadm-server instance running under
>> > Dovecot, nor how to point 'doveadm purge' at an arbitrary directory.
>>
>> Right. doveadm -o mail=mdbox:/backups/my_user purge
>>

> This worked (at least it seems to, the source and destination are roughly
> the same size)..
>
> However, if the the original email location has already been purge, does
> the backup email location also need to be purged?
>

>> > It might be easier to dsync to a Maildir instead. This should preserve
>> > all the Dovecot-visible metadata, and dsyncing back to the dbox for
>> > restore should put it all back.
>>
>> Better sdbox than maildir.
>>

> I'd rather stick to mdbox for my remote backups. I have a single email
> account with over 1.5 million emails in it. With a 1-file-per-message
> storage, this would be slow/hell to run. Unless there is a better way.

>> location

>> restore?

>> mail_location
>> >
>> > AFAICT, if Dovecot is stopped on both sides of the transfer it should be
>> > safe. If either side has a currently running Dovecot instance (or any
>> > other Dovecot tools, like a concurrent dsync) using that dbox, it's
>> > likely rsync will copy an inconsistent snapshot of the data, and the
>> > result will be corrupted.
>>
>> It won't be badly corrupted though. At worst Dovecot will rebuild the
>> indexes, which takes a while. And most users probably won't get any
>> corruption at all.
>>

> I think there was a misunderstanding of the setup. dsync is only running
> on the local side, the remote side is a "dumb" rsync server that I don't
> fully control.

what i was trying to ask with my last question is the following:

I'm trying to do remote backups of an mdbox setup, and considering that I
only have dsync running on the local side (not on the remote side), is it
safe to simply do an rsync of the mail_location to the remote server, or
should I first do a dsync (make a local duplicate) and then rsync the
duplcate out to the remote server?

(wish i had a whiteboard right about now).

Thanks,

-Joe