[Dovecot] File permissions used for automatically created mailbox

Frerich Raabe raabe at froglogic.com
Thu Feb 7 12:22:24 EET 2013

Hi,

I'm running Dovecot 2.1.12 on FreeBSD (quite successfully so, thanks for
this nice piece of software!). One thing which is slightly annoying
though is that automatically created mailboxes (I have
lda_mailbox_autocreate set) don't have the file permissions I'd like
them to have.

I'm using a vmail-based system, i.e. all mail is owned by vmail:vmail;
another member of the vmail group is called 'backup', which has read
access to all mail in order to create backups. All mail is stored
beneath /home/vmail, e.g. /home/vmail/frerich/Maildir

Right now, newly created mailbox directories (e.g. /home/vmail/bob) have
0700 permissions, but I'd like to have 0750 for all directories and 0640
for all files so that all files and directories are group-readable for
backup purposes.

Does anybody know whether this is configurable somehow?

Right now, my workaround consists running this cron script every night:

   #!/bin/sh
   chown -R vmail:vmail /home/vmail/
   find /home/vmail/ -type d -print0 | xargs -0 chmod 0750
   find /home/vmail/ -type f -print0 | xargs -0 chmod 0640

Frerich Raabe - raabe at froglogic.com
www.froglogic.com - Multi-Platform GUI Testing