[Dovecot] Moving index files on another disk: no troubles but need more assurances

Paolo Miotto paolo.miotto at uniud.it
Fri Feb 8 14:17:40 EET 2013

Hi,

I'm using dovecot 1.2.15 on debian squeeze with maildir, and I want to
move index files out of the mailboxes disk to reduce disk I/O.

I need to get the assurance that the switch is completely transparent
to my clients (IMAP and POP).

I read the wiki documentation and have found this thread
(http://dovecot.org/pipermail/dovecot/2009-September/042665.html),
which makes me confident, even if it speaks of a older version and
only pop3.

So I set up a test server, copied a true mailbox and changed mail
location from:
mail_location = maildir:~/Maildir
mail_location = maildir:~/Maildir:INDEX=/srv/indexes/%1n/%n
(all users under the same domain, no need to use %d).

On the IMAP side all seems to work fine, new indexes are created in
the new location (dovecot.index.log on 1st access, dovecot.index.cache
on message manipolation).

A test client (evolution) doesn't notice at all, and I have verified
via a telnet imap session that UIDs don't change.

But I see that when I move the indexes the IMAP HIGHESTMODSEQ response
changes and is reset to 1. Can this baffle the clients? On the rfc I
don't found reference to this status walking backwards.

Need I to verify that all messages have the virtual size (W=nnnn) in
the file name (the mailboxes are from a previous cyrus installation,
then we switch to dovecot 1.2)?

What other test you suggest that checking UIDL on the pop3 side?

What happens if the indexes disk disappears (broken or removed from
bay or all paths down for FC/iscsi)? Can dovecot 1.2 continue with
INDEX=MEMORY as for a disk full?

Sorry for the many questions....

Paolo