[Dovecot] Imap process crash: assertion failed: (full_fs_access)

Joseph Tam jtam.home at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 13:20:10 EET 2013

Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> writes:

> > Any guess at what would cause this?
> >
> >  	Feb  7 21:20:53 server dovecot: imap(user): Panic: file
> >  	mailbox-list-fs-iter.c: line 447 (fs_list_get_roots): assertion
> >  	failed: (full_fs_access)
>
> LIST command that had invalid parameters that somehow got through the
> first validity check. What namespace config do you have?

I got more info from the user that had this problem.  He reported that he
was was setting up a new Email client (Nexus4 Android) and he sent me a
screenshot of his setup.  Everything look ordinary except perhaps the
IMAP prefix set to "mail".  My setup documents inform users to leave it blank,
but sometimes they use "mail/", a holdover from the uw-imapd days.  I provide
some aliases for that, but I don't know what would happen if you leave off
the trailing "/".

My namespace settings as reported by dovecot -n:

 	namespace {
 	  inbox = yes
 	  location =
 	  prefix =
 	  separator = /
 	}

 	(The following are aliases to keep backward compatibility)
 	namespace {
 	  alias_for =
 	  hidden = yes
 	  list = no
 	  location =
 	  prefix = /
 	  separator = /
 	}
 	namespace {
 	  alias_for =
 	  hidden = yes
 	  list = no
 	  location =
 	  prefix = mail/
 	  separator = /
 	}
 	namespace {
 	  alias_for =
 	  hidden = yes
 	  list = no
 	  location =
 	  prefix = ~/mail/
 	  separator = /
 	}
 	namespace {
 	  alias_for =
 	  hidden = yes
 	  list = no
 	  location =
 	  prefix = ~%u/mail/
 	  separator = /
 	}

I've asked the user to change his prefix, and he'll probably report back.

Joseph Tam <jtam.home at gmail.com>