[Dovecot] Is there any way to mask or hide the INBOX label for Dovecot 1.2.x Shared Mailboxes?

Jason Discount dovecot.org at practiceofcode.com
Wed Feb 13 01:12:51 EET 2013

Hello,

I'm setting up a new Dovecot sever to replace an old Cyrus server, and need to keep things as consistent as possible. I have a couple local accounts, like junkmail and notjunkmail that users get shared access to, and can drop things in to train sa-update. However, when users share over junkmail's inbox, it's displayed in the hierarchy:

	• Other Users
		• junkmail
			• INBOX

Is there any way to get junkmail's INBOX to just show up at Other Users/junkmail and not require that extra depth?

	• Other Users
		• junkmail

I'm running Debian Squeeze and the standard dovecot package available therein:

> # uname -a
> Linux internet.digitalquay.com.au 2.6.32-5-xen-amd64 #1 SMP Sun Sep 23 13:49:30 UTC 2012 x86_64 GNU/Linux
> #dovecot --version
> 1.2.15

I'm running in a configuration where all mail is owned by the vmail user, due to the impression I'm under, that it's a better way if there is to be shared mailboxes.

Relevant bits of dovecot -n:

> mail_uid: vmail
> mail_gid: vmail
> mail_location: maildir:/var/spool/dovecot/user/%u
> mail_plugins: acl imap_acl
> namespace:
>   type: private
>   separator: /
>   inbox: yes
>   list: yes
>   subscriptions: yes
> namespace:
>   type: shared
>   separator: /
>   prefix: Other Users/%%u/
>   location: maildir:/var/spool/dovecot/user/%%u:INDEX="/var/spool/dovecot/user/%u/Other\ Users/%%u"
>   list: children
> auth default:
>   passdb:
>     driver: ldap
>     args: /etc/dovecot/dovecot-ldap.conf
>   userdb:
>     driver: passwd
>     args: uid=vmail gid=vmail blocking=yes mail=maildir:/var/spool/dovecot/user/%u

Am I barking up the wrong tree, or is this possible?

Thanks,

Jay