[Dovecot] Dovecot-2.1.14 - pop3 processes always hangs forever - another follow-up

Axel Luttgens AxelLuttgens at swing.be
Sun Feb 17 00:43:28 EET 2013

Le 16 févr. 2013 à 17:47, Timo Sirainen a écrit :

> [...]
> a) dtruss the pop3 process to see which syscall hangs. Maybe this works:
>
> service pop3 {
> executable = /usr/bin/dtruss /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/pop3
> }
>
> It logs to Dovecot's error log.

Hello Timo,

As usual, once again, many thanks for your reply. :-)

I already tried the dtruss way on hanging pop3 processes, but without any valuable output: they were just sleeping, and dtruss came without any output.

Anyway, yes, above proposal proved functional.
Interestingly. ;-)

I tried five consecutive pop logins (RUN 1 to 5) with the same user ("user1", 100002/100002), yet without being able to discern some conclusive pattern.

Just to be sure, I turned flocking off for two other subsequent logins (RUN 6 and 7). Again without any "Aha" effect on my side.

In all cases, I had to send a KILL signal to the hanging pop3 process, hence the last empty line in the log ("pop3: Error: ").

Outputs are in Pop3Hangs.txt.zip.

> b) get gdb backtrace:
>
> gdb -p <pid of pop3 process>
> bt full

I thus tried an eigth run, still with flocking off.

Output is in Pop3HangsGdb.txt.zip.

Wishing you all the best,
Axel