[Dovecot] Full-text search

Valery V. Sedletski valerius at afterlogic.com
Mon Feb 18 18:10:42 EET 2013

Hi all
I discovered that the full-text search (fts) plugin can work without
SQUAT/LUCENE/SOLR backend. I.e., Dovecot creates separate indexes for
header search in files dovecot.index and dovecot.index.cache. Even, the
search by headers is fast enough, and can search for phrases. Also, it
seems that this buillt-in search is faster than Solr-based search. But if I
enable the Solr backend (fts_solr), then the FTS generic plugin built-in
search becomes disabled.
But, Solr-based Full-text search is faster if search inside message bodies.
Also, it appears that the built-in search inside message bodies works too,
but very slow (it seems that is because it is dumb file-based search and
does not use indexes at all)
So, my question is: is it possible to combine the built-in search with Solr
or Lucene plugin-based search so that the first one searches by headers,
and the second one works by bodies?
This could make the advantages of both search methods combined.
WBR,
valery