[Dovecot] Broken physical size caching in Dovecot 2.1.10

Rob Redpath rob.redpath at heartinternet.co.uk
Tue Feb 19 11:39:56 EET 2013

On 16/02/13 14:50, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Wed, 2013-02-13 at 11:49 +0000, Rob Redpath wrote:
>>> Dovecot's zlib plugin requires that the maildir filenames
>>> have ,S=uncompressed size. Otherwise you get those errors.
>>> http://dovecot.org/tools/maildir-size-check.sh can be used to fix the
>>> filenames.
>>>
>> Thanks for this. The problem I'm encountering is that Dovecot renames
>> files, and does so to their size on disk rather than their uncompressed
>> size, undoing any corrective action that's been taken.
> Yeah. It's a bit difficult to change the automated fixing code to work
> properly with compressed files without some very ugly kludges.
>
> BTW. http://dovecot.org/tools/maildir-size-fix.pl has been updated to
> work with compressed files also, making maildir-size-check.sh obsolete.

I had a quick look myself - it looks like it would be! Obviously I can't
leave my production system in a state where mail can't be accessed by
some of its users - so what would your advice be to work around this?

I think my options are:-
- Modify and recompile dovecot so that the affected sub is a no-op and
guarantee that filenames will always reflect the uncompressed size of
the message through other means
OR
- Ensure that the sub never gets called. What condition is it that
Dovecot encounters that triggers it to rename a file?

Thanks for you help with this!