[Dovecot] Defer emails until the user is ready to deal with them (snooze button / bring-forward file / bring-up file for emails)

Robert Schetterer rs at sys4.de
Tue Feb 19 14:18:33 EET 2013

Am 19.02.2013 12:01, schrieb Steffen Kaiser:
> a) you cannot separate private from work mail address or better to say:
> your work address gets misused for private things or some private notion
> sneaked into a work relationship, therefore you must monitor the work mail
> account at weekend. They are pushed to your smartphone anyway. Then, you
> see all these very important messages from the boss or from an employee
> asking about whatever. If you are tempted to answer, you loose the "relax"
> portion of the weekend.
>
> b) you don't want to give your colleques or employees the pressure, they
> have to work at the weekend, just because you write them at the weekend
> or some late hour at Friday.
>
> Replace "weekend" with vacation or holiday or illness or whatsever. I mean
> the non-personal "you".

yes i see, some big companies in germany have anounced to "shut down or
delay" email during weekends/holidays, too, giving people the chance to
relax,

perhaps it work easy this way, user creates sieve rule like

mails from ... to myuseraddress put in "specialfolder" with add
"specialheader" like "unseen til date"

where "specialfolder" has no list imap flag  ( hidden, maybe a problem yet )

do some global cron all 5 mins test all mails in all "specialfolder"  if
"unseen til date" at "specialheader" is reached do doveadm move mail Inbox

didnt checked if that might work with current sieve stuff
but such mech is server based ( no need for client plugins, new
standards etc), sieve rule interfaces for self user addings exist,
global rules are able to coexist same way, "holded" sieve mails have a
mark in their header for later debug, more filtering can be added

for sure ,other methods are thinkable and working too, but this should
work in isp setup with perhaps minimum changes at dovecot and/or sieve,
also
the external sieve plugin may help too

"specialfolder" may also be a forwarding email adresse on the same
server etc ( but this may change headers, which isnt wanted )

for sure this might not solve all "social" problems, only this special
"vacation" case

other stuff which is more "mail workflow" related might be solved better
with other mechs  i.e inventing a imap "hidden" until date flag
etc

Best Regards
MfG Robert Schetterer

--