[Dovecot] Deleted / read mails show up as new on remote imap clients

Andre Bischof andre.bischof at rheinsinn.de
Sun Feb 24 14:17:26 EET 2013

Hi,

I've one problem:

Mails, which I already read or deleted via my IMAP client (Thunderbird)
on the same machine running the server (it runs behind DynDNS on my
local machine, thanks to http://mein.homelinux.com/wiki/mailserver/)
show up again if I connect via IMAP from other client computers, i.e. my
notebook (Thunderbird again).

As you can see from the config below I have /home/user/Maildir, not
/var/mail - is that the problem? Or is that anything else, resulting in
status from emails not being stored (or not being available remote) in
the responding dovecot files (dovecot.index?).

Some month ago I migrated from Cyrus, and if I remember correct I had
some problems with migrating subscriptions, stati and so on (one had to
use a special script, sorry, it's been some time now) ;-) So maybe s.th.
went wrong which could be the source of this problem? Just guessing ...

Ok, here's my config:

root at linux:/lost+found# dovecot -n
# 2.1.7: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: Linux 3.5.0-25-generic x86_64 Ubuntu 12.10
auth_verbose = yes
lda_mailbox_autosubscribe = yes
mail_debug = yes
mail_location = maildir:~/Maildir
managesieve_notify_capability = mailto
managesieve_sieve_capability = fileinto reject envelope
encoded-character vacation subaddress comparator-i;ascii-numeric
relational regex imap4flags copy include variables body enotify
environment mailbox date ihave
namespace inbox {
   inbox = yes
   list = yes
   location =
   prefix =
   separator = .
   type = private
}
passdb {
   driver = pam
}
plugin {
   sieve = ~/.dovecot.sieve
   sieve_dir = ~/sieve
}
postmaster_address = postmaster at localhost
protocols = imap pop3 sieve
service auth {
   unix_listener /var/spool/postfix/private/dovecot-auth {
     group = postfix
     mode = 0660
     user = postfix
   }
}
ssl_cert = </etc/ssl/certs/dovecot.pem
ssl_cipher_list =
ALL:!LOW:!SSLv2:ALL:!aNULL:!ADH:!eNULL:!EXP:RC4+RSA:+HIGH:+MEDIUM
ssl_key = </etc/ssl/private/dovecot.pem
userdb {
   driver = passwd
}
protocol imap {
   imap_client_workarounds = delay-newmail
   mail_max_userip_connections = 10
}
protocol pop3 {
   mail_max_userip_connections = 10
   pop3_client_workarounds = outlook-no-nuls oe-ns-eoh
}
protocol lda {
   deliver_log_format = msgid=%m: %$
   mail_plugins = sieve sieve
   postmaster_address = postmaster
   quota_full_tempfail = yes
   rejection_reason = Your message to <%t> was automatically rejected:%n%r
}
root at linux:/lost+found#

If you need other info pls let me know.

Any help is greatly appreciated!