[Dovecot] Imap-login service count/limits

Thomas Hummel hummel at pasteur.fr
Tue Feb 26 12:08:18 EET 2013

Hello Timo,

I'm trying to configure dovecot-2.1.15 master correctly regarding imap-login
limits. I want to use service_count=0 and I'm starting with something like this
:

#default_process_limit = 100
#default_client_limit = 1000

service imap-login {

[...]

  service_count = 0
  process_min_avail = 8
  vsz_limit = 1024M

}

-> Does it make sense to set a process_limit if service_count = 0 ? why ?
Doesn't service_count = 0 mean that no additionnal imap-login process would be
created (except for process_min_avail) ?

-> Does it make sense to set process_min_avail <> 0 if service_count = 0 ? why
? and if yes, what's the rule of thumb to find the correct value according to
the number of connections estimation ?

-> Assuming every client is configured to use STARTTLS and opens by default 5
   imap connections, each client would consume 5 of the 1000 default_client_limit,
   right ?

-> is 1024M too high for vsz_limit and may expose to memory leaks ?

In other words, what limit should be raised to scale a lot a connections ?

Thanks

--
Thomas Hummel 	    | Institut Pasteur
<hummel at pasteur.fr> | Groupe Exploitation et Infrastructure