[Dovecot] Imap-login service count/limits

Thomas Hummel hummel at pasteur.fr
Tue Feb 26 17:27:05 EET 2013

On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 02:04:07PM +0100, Thomas Hummel wrote:

> Besides, why would [...]

I think I get it, I might have been confused by the term "unlimited" in "the
only useful values are 0 (unlimited)" in the sample config file comment.

As I see it now :

- service_count = 0 :

 . number of connections is not "unlimited" but limited by client_limit (or
   default_client_limit) for each imap-login process first and then by
   process_limit (or default_process_limit)

 . since only when client_limit is reached a new imap-login is forked (in the
   limit of process_limit), pre-forking process_min_avail load-balance the work
   across all CPUs instead of staying on a single CPU until client_limit is reached.

- service_count = 1

  . client_limit has no effect since 1 connection <-> 1 process
  . pre-forking process_min_avail avoid the fork-exec overhead/latency

Is this correct now ?

Thanks

--
Thomas Hummel 	    | Institut Pasteur