[Dovecot] Protocol logging - TLS vs SSL

Tue Feb 26 23:38:49 EET 2013

On 2013-02-26 3:55 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:
> TLS is practically the next SSL version after SSL 3.0 and internally
> SSL 3.x, in fact it is only a wording issue

Prove it.

In fact, there is obviously plenty of confusion about it (based on just
a few minutes of googling), but, I'm inclined to agree with you on this
point.

>> NONE
>> SSL if available
>> SSL Always
>> TLS if available
>> TLS Always

> pfffffff
>
> SSL if available: use port 993 if available, but you may use 143 unecnrypted
> SSL Always:       use always port 993
> TLS if available: use STARTLS on 143 if available, but if not use no encryption
> TLS Always:       use always STARTTLS on 143

pffffffffff yourself - in fact, I just visually confirmed...

The native Android mail shows these choices:

None
SSL
SSL (Accept all certificates)
TLS
TLS (Accept all certificates)

and the K-9 mail app shows these:

None
SSL (if available)
SSL (always)
TLS (if available)
TLS (always)

And again, the port is specified in its own box, so is *not* tied to one
of these choices.

If memory serves, the iPhone is similar (the port is totally separate
from the security type).

--

Best regards,

*/Charles/*