[Dovecot] Real-time sync using dsync

Michael Grimm trashcan at odo.in-berlin.de
Thu Feb 28 09:08:50 EET 2013

On 2013-02-28 6:55, list at airstreamcomm.net wrote:

> I have to +1 Nikolaos' sentiment for a geographically distributed
> mail cluster, we have been hoping for a Dovecot solution to this
> problem for the last few years.

I am using that solution over a year now. Both mail servers have been
running ~500 km apart. Regular mail traffic is very low, though, only
a couple of users and ~1000 mails a day.

I haven't been using such an elaborate test scenario you are
describing here, but I did test dsync with huge loads of locally
injected messages (100000 messages at either site, or simultaneously).
Thus, I am very much interested in your stress test results simulating
a real world scenario in a much better way than my more ore less lab-
like scenario, only.

As Timo mentioned before, there have been bugs (especially with v2.1),
but I never ever lost a single mail since starting dsync replication.
Main issues have been duplicates, instead, and this is history after
all those improvements Timo has achieved in v2.2.

Thus, whoever is interested in a cheap man's fail-over mail cluster
with geographically distributed servers and moderate load, I would
encourage to consider and test replicator/dsync v2.2, now.

Just my two cents,
Michael