[Dovecot] Best practice for sieve script synchronization

Oli Schacher dovecot at lists.wgwh.ch
Thu Feb 28 10:58:15 EET 2013

We consider deploying a two server active-active setup with
dsync replication for ~2500 users.

I was wondering how people handle sieve script synchronization in such
setups.

We came up with a few options for syncing:

 1) rsync/unison ~/sieve every x seconds

 2) move sieve dirs to separatate partition and sync with
   gluster or drbd

 3) patch roundcube managesieve sieve plugin to upload to both
 managesieve servers (only roundcube can access managesieve in our
 setup)

 4) store sieve scripts in mysql and patch roundcube managesieve plugin
 to directly access the db instead of using managesieve (we tried this,
 but apparently sieve scripts read from db via dovecot dict can't have
 more than one line? show stopper due to roundcube sieve plugin  needing
   comments to parse the scripts)

 5) wait until Timo/Stephan add additional magic to dsync for sieve
 scripts as discussed in
 http://www.dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2011-October/061699.html ;-)

We are tending towards 1) as this seems  simplest and most robust
solution but before we re-invent the wheel we'd like to "hear" your
thoughts...

Thanks
Oli

--
This message does not contain horse meat