[Dovecot] IMAP folders sort order

Robert Schetterer rs at sys4.de
Thu Feb 28 16:34:49 EET 2013

Am 28.02.2013 14:54, schrieb Valery V. Sedletski:
> Hi all
>
> We migrated our IMAP server from Courier to Dovecot. The minor problem
> appeared: Dovecot LIST command
> now shows mailbox listing in some weird order. (I suppose, it is filesystem
> directory order) Previously, with Courier,
> it was sorted, i.e., the INBOX was the first, followed by other system
> folders. This is not a problem with our webmail,
> because it sorts folders by its own. But with some IMAP clients, we have
> folders intermixed.
>
> Is there a way to influence the folder sort order in Dovecot?
>
> WBR,
> valery

comming from courier it may be a namespace problem

http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Migration/Courier

Dovecot configuration

Courier by default uses "INBOX." as the IMAP namespace for private
mailboxes. If you want a transparent migration, you'll need to configure
Dovecot to use a namespace with "INBOX." prefix as well.

mail_location = maildir:~/Maildir

namespace {
  prefix = INBOX.
  separator = .