[Dovecot] Real-time sync using dsync

Nikolaos Milas nmilas at noa.gr
Thu Feb 28 17:06:14 EET 2013

On 28/2/2013 11:43 πμ, Nikolaos Milas wrote:

> On 28/2/2013 9:08 πμ, Michael Grimm wrote:
>
>> Thus, whoever is interested in a cheap man's fail-over mail cluster
>> with geographically distributed servers and moderate load, I would
>> encourage to consider and test replicator/dsync v2.2, now.
>
> On 27/2/2013 11:10 μμ, Timo Sirainen wrote:
>
>> dsync was meant exactly for that kind of replication. For a
>> relatively few number of users this should work well
>
> Thank you Timo and Alexei for your encouraging info. This is exactly
> what I was thinking about. We have about 250 mailboxes (most of which
> are using POP3) with about 4000 outgoing / 8000 incoming mail messages
> per day. Normal traffic is under 5 mails (total in/out) per minute.
> IMHO, this sounds like a good case for dsync.
>
> Now, where can I find directions on how to set up dsync/dovecot to
> work as explained, i.e. with real-time replication (for v2.2)?
>
> Thanks again,
> Nick

Hmm, I feel I have to re-send, to correctly attribute the former text to
Michael Grimm (rather than to Цветков Алексей). [Corrected above.]

In any case, please provide some link with info on how to set this up
correctly for continuous real-time dsync.

I am using ldap-hosted accounts and Maildir. Dovecot runs on CentOS 6.3.

It seems to me that the mirroring examples at:
http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Tools/Dsync refer to a one-time operation,
rather than to a continuous/real-time function.

Sincerely,
Nick