[Dovecot] help needed with dovecot authentication

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Thu Feb 28 23:58:31 EET 2013

Am 28.02.2013 22:53, schrieb peter lawrie:

> On 28 February 2013 21:42, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net <mailto:h.reindl at thelounge.net>> wrote:
>
>     Am 28.02.2013 22:34, schrieb Simon Brereton:
>     > On 28 Feb 2013 21:51, "peter lawrie" <peter.lawrie at glendiscovery.co.uk <mailto:peter.lawrie at glendiscovery.co.uk>>
>     >> I thought I knew what I was doing before I took this one on (I have
>     >> configured and manage a dozen centos servers), but this one is making my
>     >> head spin.
>     >> Yours in hope!
>     >> Peter Lawrie
>     >
>     > Peter
>     >
>     > Dovecot/postfix will need their own db, different from horde.  (Although I
>     > suppose it's possible to add tables too it, but I'd hold it for you risky).
>     >
>     > Several how-to's will give you sample db structures.  However check out
>     > automx.org <http://automx.org>
>
>     and if you do it samrt horde or whatever webmail does
>     not have a user/password table and uses instead authentication
>     directly to the imap-server and so you have
>
>     * one single place with users
>     * no usertable accessable from a web-application
>
> Hi Harald
> Thanks, but I'm not clear what you mean.
> I'd be happy with authentication to the imap server (without the users having access) if only I could find a
> configuration howto that was actually relevant to what I want to do and the release levels I am at. I've already
> messed up by using out of date configurations found by googling.

sorry - i do not use horde since more than a year after their braindead
split to thousands of subpackages and PEAR making build own RPM-packages
a pain, but i know for sure horde supports auth against IMAP as also
roundcube does, normally this would be the default if you not specify
anything else becaus eit makes zero sense authenticate against a own
usertable because finally it has to login alwas at the IMAp server

maybe you should consider such questions to the horde-list and not on
a generic one like dovecot in the hope of a horde-user?