[Dovecot] dovecot and avahi

Patrick Ben Koetter p at sys4.de
Tue Jan 1 20:39:42 EET 2013

* Tom Hendrikx <dovecot at dovecot.org>:
> On 01-01-13 18:01, Ben Morrow wrote:
> > At  5PM +0100 on  1/01/13 you (Tom Hendrikx) wrote:
> >>
> >> If you want to advertise your mail config for easy setup over the
> >> internet, take a look at: http://www.automx.org/
> >
> > I thought most gooey mail clients supported RFC 6186 nowadays?
> >
> > Ben
> >

> As you can see from their docs, it supports a lot more than what you can
> put in SRV DNS records AFAIK. I don't use either of the solutions
> actively, and don't support any client setups so I don't really know
> what is currently available in clients, and needed or superior on server
> side.

automx combines Mozillas autoconfig service and Microsofts autodiscover
service in one tool. With automx you can provision SMTP/POP/IMAP and
ActiveSync account settings (but not the services themselves).

Microsoft Outlook 2007+, Thunderbird 3+, Microsoft Mobiles and other mobiles
known to support ActiveSync can make use of the automx webservice.

Apple products do not support either MS' or MZ's provisioning services. AFAIK
the only way to configure these clients is to store an XML file at a dedicated
location in advance, use the Apple Configurator or go the real hard way and
use Mobile Device Management (MDM) services.

The aforementioned RFC 6186 has shortcommings compared to
autodiscover/autoconfig-services: You can tell the service location (URI) and
port, but you can't specify transport policies (plaintext, SSL, STARTTLS),
authentication mechanisms etc. I would not want to use it in a business
environment.

p at rick

--
[*] sys4 AG