[Dovecot] map_uid/GUID at IMAP level (IMAP extension?)

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Jan 4 01:56:43 EET 2013

On 2.1.2013, at 17.14, Andrzej A. Filip <andrzej.filip at gmail.com> wrote:

> Is map_uid/guid going to be supported at IMAP protocol level? [via IMAP
> protocol extension]

map_uid is completely mdbox-specific. I don't see any point in offering it.

> Specifically I would like to be able to:
> a) ask for mail_uid/GUID of specific message in mail store

a FETCH 1:* X-GUID

> b) get list of folders containing copies of message with given mail_uid/GUID

Create a virtual mailbox out of all your folders, then:

a SELECT virtual/allmails
b SEARCH X-GUID abcdefg

With current code that keeps all of the folders' index files open, so not very good if you have lots of folders. Even if that's fixed it would still require opening and reading all the folders' index files, even if it's one at a time.

Currently Dovecot doesn't really need a quick way to access a mail by its GUID, although dsync could benefit from it.