[Dovecot] Folder names

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Jan 4 05:24:59 EET 2013

On 2.1.2013, at 1.17, James Starowitz <starsoft at starnova.net> wrote:

> Running a pretty basic setup of imap +pop3 on version 2.1.10
>
> Users are able to create folders in imap that contain "&" the folder on the
> backend reflects "&-" as it should, you can list folder, but then when you
> relog into imap then decides it can no longer subscribe to this folder due
> to invalid UTF characters. Essentially allowing users to lock themselves out
> by using a very common character in a folder name.
>
> Might one of the imap client compatibility plugins in imapd  cause this
> quirkiness ?

Maybe it's a client bug? You didn't say which client you're using. Anyway, I'm not aware of any bugs related to this. Show what commands the client sends with e.g. rawlog: http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Debugging/Rawlog

A quick test shows that it works with me:

x create foo&-bar
x OK Create completed.
x subscribe foo&-bar
x OK Subscribe completed.
x unsubscribe foo&-bar
x OK Unsubscribe completed.
x delete foo&-bar
x OK Delete completed.

Note that the client must send it as &- because that's how mUTF-7 character set works with IMAP.