[Dovecot] assertion failed: (uidmap[src].real_uid == uid)

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Jan 4 23:46:30 EET 2013

On Thu, 2013-01-03 at 19:13 +0800, Chris Vanden Berghe wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Does anyone have an idea what could cause the below error?
>
> Dec 31 17:03:46 bobodioulasso dovecot: imap(bla at bla.org): Panic: file
> virtual-sync.c: line 542 (virtual_sync_mailbox_box_remove): assertion
> failed: (uidmap[src].real_uid == uid)

Looks like a bug in virtual plugin. Those are a bit difficult to debug
though. It would be very helpful if I could reproduce this myself. I'd
need some files from the user's mailbox for that (not the mail files, so
nothing sensitive). But..:

> The error only occurs for a single user on the system.  This user uses
> Apple Mail client.
..
> namespace {
>    inbox = yes
>    location = maildir:/var/vmail/%u
>    prefix =
>    separator = .
> }
> namespace {
>    location = virtual:/var/vmail/virtual
>    prefix = virtual.
>    separator = .
> }

This isn't a good setup. Now each user recreates the entire virtual
mailbox every time it's opened. Maybe the bug is related to that. Use
instead something like:

namespace {
  location = virtual:/var/vmail/virtual:INDEX=/var/vmail/%u/virtual