[Dovecot] permission denied message

Averlon c38sgzkz at averlon.net
Sat Jan 5 12:40:28 EET 2013

Hi all there - sorry I have to repeat the mail since I got the message
it was not delivered correctly.

Hi all,
I have run successfully a postfix/dovecot installation some time ago.

Now, setting up a new server, I am lost with some error messages.

I would appreciate some help.

+++
f42252se dovecot: pop3-login: Error: auth: connect(login) in directory /
failed: Permission denied (euid=113(<getpwu
id() error>) egid=65534(<getgrgid() error>) missing +x perm: /, dir
owned by 5000:5000 mode=0750)
+++

This is the error message I get.

"directory /" is a little bit courious to me.

Here my dovecot config:

+++
# 2.0.19: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: Linux 3.2.0-35-generic x86_64 Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS
auth_debug = yes
auth_mechanisms = plain login digest-md5 cram-md5
auth_verbose = yes
hostname = mail.av.loc
mail_debug = yes
mail_gid = vmail
mail_location = maildir:~/Maildir
mail_privileged_group = vmail
mail_uid = vmail
managesieve_notify_capability = mailto
managesieve_sieve_capability = fileinto reject envelope
encoded-character vacation subaddress comparator-i;ascii-numeric
relational regex imap4flags copy include variables body enotify
environment mailbox date ihave
passdb {
  args = /etc/dovecot/dovecot-ldap.conf.ext
  driver = ldap
}
protocols = imap pop3
service auth {
    group = postfix
    mode = 0600
    user = postfix
  }
  unix_listener auth-userdb {
    group = vmail
    mode = 0660
    user = vmail
  }
}
ssl_cert = </etc/ssl/certs/dovecot.pem
ssl_cipher_list =
ALL:!LOW:!SSLv2:ALL:!aNULL:!ADH:!eNULL:!EXP:RC4+RSA:+HIGH:+MEDIUM
ssl_key = </etc/ssl/private/dovecot.pem
syslog_facility = dovecot
userdb {
  args = uid=vmail gid=vmail home=/home/vmail/%d/%n
  driver = static
}

+++

You probably see it immediatly what I fail to see.
Thanks in advance
--
Signatur Averlon info

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind Regards

Karl-Heinz Fischbach

Skype: khfischbach
jabber: averlon at jabber.org
Blog: averlon.posterous.com

Signatur:
Diese e-mail ist unter Umständen signiert. Die Signatur entspricht dem
Deutschen Signaturgesetz und entsprechenden europäischen Regelungen.
Important Note:
This e-mail may contain trade secrets or privileged, undisclosed or
otherwise confidential information. If you have received this e-mail in
error, you are hereby notified that any review, copying or distribution
of it is strictly prohibited. Please inform us immediately and destroy
the original transmittal.