[Dovecot] Dovecot SASL Client support?

Urban Loesch bind at enas.net
Tue Jan 8 17:43:30 EET 2013

On 08.01.2013 14:59, Charles Marcus wrote:
> On 2013-01-08 8:46 AM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:
>>
>> Am 08.01.2013 14:40, schrieb Charles Marcus:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I seem to recall mention of SASL client support either being added, but can't remember for sure. The wiki says
>>> nothing about Client support (now, or in the future)...
>>>
>>> http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Sasl
>>>
>>> So - is there support for it now? If not, is it planned for anytime soon?
>> what exactly are you missing?
>>
>> * dovecot can be used from postfix to replace cyrus sasl
>>    you even linked the documentation
>>    http://wiki2.dovecot.org/HowTo/PostfixAndDovecotSASL
>> * dovecot supports authentication for POP3/IMAP
>>
>> so hich sort fo "client support" are you missing?
>
> CLIENT support... do you not understand the difference?
>
> http://www.postfix.org/SASL_README.html#client_sasl
>
> So that postfix can use dovecot-sasl for remotely authenticating against another SMTP server, ie, for secure relays...

If I understand you right, you would like to make postfix authenticate against a remote smtp server and relaying
all emails to it.

For this you don't need dovecot on your site.

I use it as follows on my debian lenny.

installed packages: postfix, libsasl2-modules

needed main.cf configuration options:

relayhost = [the.relayserver.com]
smtp_sasl_auth_enable = yes
smtp_sasl_password_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/relay_passwd
smtp_use_tls = yes

Content of /etc/postfix/relay_passwd:
the.relayserver.com user at domain.com:PASSWORD

regards