[Dovecot] Dovecot SASL Client support?

Tue Jan 8 19:55:17 EET 2013

On 2013-01-08 10:57 AM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:
> but he wants to use dovecot and uninstall cyrus-sasl-lib for whatever
> reason - it makes sense to use dovecot for SASL auth to make sure
> using the same auth-mechs and password databases in SMTP / IMAP / POP3
> but i see no sense in using dovecot here you do NOT want to
> authenticate with your passwords on a foreign server nor leave the
> option to this due accident

<sigh>

You're ignoring obvious scenarios...

What if I want to use a paid relay service that requires secure AUTH? Or
use a relay that I control, but must be accessed over a public network
(like the internet)? Right now I have to use (as you pointed out)
cyrus-sasl, because dovecot-sasl doesn't (apparently) support
client-side sasl at this time. I'd prefer to not have to install
cyrus-sasl just to do it.

On 2013-01-08 12:12 PM, /dev/rob0 <rob0 at gmx.co.uk> wrote:
> I don't expect to see Dovecot providing client SASL.

I absolutely do recall Timo discussing implementing it at some point -
this way dovecot could actually provide its own submission agent (one
reason I'd love to see this would be the ability to DISABLE the 'Save
copy to Sent folder' option in mail clients and do that on the server so
the message doesn't have to be transferred over the wire twice, which is
one thing I *love* about gmail).

--

Best regards,

Charles