[Dovecot] Dovecot SASL Client support?

Tue Jan 8 21:43:55 EET 2013

On 2013-01-08 1:52 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:
> Am 08.01.2013 18:55, schrieb Charles Marcus:
>> I absolutely do recall Timo discussing implementing it at some point - this way dovecot could actually provide its
>> own submission agent (one reason I'd love to see this would be the ability to DISABLE the 'Save copy to Sent
>> folder' option in mail clients and do that on the server so the message doesn't have to be transferred over the
>> wire twice, which is one thing I *love* about gmail)
> that would make dovecot to a MTA,

No it wouldn't, any more than having dovecot-sasl provide SERVER-side
sasl support for the postfix submission service.

> but how do you explain this the MUA aka mail-client?
> gmail can do it because it is a webinterface not acting with mail-protocols on the
> user side

Wrong... I hate the gmail web interface, and only access my gmail
accounts through IMAP+Thunderbird, and for those accounts, I can disable
the 'Save copy to sent folder' option, and sent messages still show up
in the sent folder.

> with standard protocols this is not the way you can go
>
> even if dovecot would have it's own SMTP implementation
> no client expects such non-standard things

The client doesn't have to expect or know *anything*... the *user*
simply would have to know that they can disable that option for that
account.

> as other example: dbmail could easily move messages to different
> folders becasue it only has to update one reference but you
> can't do it this way with IMAP

Dovecot moves are simply renames (ie, linux 'mv' command), so are pretty
much instantaneous.

--

Best regards,

Charles