[Dovecot] problems with sieve

Steffen Kaiser skdovecot at smail.inf.fh-brs.de
Thu Jan 10 16:59:22 EET 2013

On Thu, 10 Jan 2013, Carsten Laun-De Lellis wrote:

> changed the sieve script forth and back but sieve is not working. I also
> replaced the sieve file with the backup, but no success. But I can't any
> error messages in the log files indicating any problem with sieve. The
> only thing I found is:
>
> Jan 10 00:03:26 vmd187 dovecot: lda(carsten.delellis at delellis.net): sieve:
> msgid=<12155505.mmailer335539222 at fritz.box>: stored mail into mailbox
> 'Fritz!Box'  -- with working sieve
>
> Jan 10 13:52:29 vmd187 dovecot: lda(carsten.delellis at delellis.net):
> msgid=<1898328495.2554803.1357821905269.JavaMail.app at ela4-app2316.prod>:
> saved mail to INBOX  -- with sieve not working
>
> As you can see that after dovecot: lda(carsten.delellis at delellis.net): the
> sieve tag is missing.

> I have also attached my settings from 90-sieve.conf from dovecot
> configuration.

this snippets missing the lda configuration related to Sieve. Also, it's
better to use doveconf or dovecot -n.

Do you find something like this in the logs (maybe you need to enable
debugging):
2012-11-26 16:44:16 lmtp(24334): Debug: Module loaded:
/usr/local/dovecot-2.1.10/lib/dovecot/lib90_sieve_plugin.so

Does the user has a sieve script anymore, has it errors? Does the logs
indicate, it is used?

> [...]
>  # if user's private Sieve script doesn't exist. Be sure to
>  # pre-compile this script manually using the sievec command line
>  # tool.
>  sieve_global_path = /var/lib/dovecot/sieve/default.sieve
>
>  # Directory for :personal include scripts for the include extension.
>  # sieve_dir = ~/sieve
>  sieve_dir = /vmail/%d/%n
>
>  # Directory for :global include scripts for the include extension.
>  sieve_global_dir = /var/lib/dovecot/sieve
>
>  # Which Sieve language extensions are available to users. By default,
>  # all supported extensions are available, except for deprecated
>  # extensions or those that are still under development. Some system
>  # administrators may want to disable certain Sieve extensions or
>  # enable those that are not available by default. This setting can
>  # use '+' and '-' to specify differences relative to the default.
>  # For example `sieve_extensions = +imapflags' will enable the
>  # deprecated imapflags extension in addition to all extensions
>  # enabled by default.
>  #sieve_extensions = +notify +imapflags
>
>  # The separator that is expected between the :user and :detail
>  # address parts introduced by the subaddress extension. This may
>  # also be a sequence of characters (e.g. '--'). The current
>  # implementation looks for the separator from the left of the
>  # localpart and uses the first one encountered. The :user part is
>  # left of the separator and the :detail part is right. This setting
>  # is also used by Dovecot's LMTP service.
>  recipient_delimiter = +
>
>  # The maximum size of a Sieve script. The compiler will refuse to
>  # compile any script larger than this limit.
>  #sieve_max_script_size = 1M
>
>  # The maximum number of actions that can be performed during a single
>  # script execution.
>  #sieve_max_actions = 32
>
>  # The maximum number of redirect actions that can be performed during
>  # a single script execution.
>  #sieve_max_redirects = 4
>
>  # The maximum number of personal Sieve scripts a single user can have.
>  # (Currently only relevant for ManageSieve)
>  #sieve_quota_max_scripts = 0
>
>  # The maximum amount of disk storage a single user's scripts may occupy.
>  # (Currently only relevant for ManageSieve)
>  #sieve_quota_max_storage = 0
> }
>

> And also you can see that sieve is listening on port 4190 and managesieve
> on 2000
>
>> lsof -i :4190
> COMMAND  PID USER   FD   TYPE DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME
> dovecot 2503 root   15u  IPv4  14101      0t0  TCP *:sieve (LISTEN)
> dovecot 2503 root   16u  IPv6  14102      0t0  TCP *:sieve (LISTEN)
>
> lsof -i :2000
> COMMAND  PID USER   FD   TYPE DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME
> dovecot 2503 root   17u  IPv4  14103      0t0  TCP *:cisco-sccp (LISTEN)
> dovecot 2503 root   18u  IPv6  14104      0t0  TCP *:cisco-sccp (LISTEN)

These are ManageSieve ports of no interest for the LDA.

Regards,

- --
Steffen Kaiser