[Dovecot] E-mail not being processed into Dovecot folders

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Mon Jan 14 08:40:37 EET 2013

On Thu, 2013-01-10 at 08:15 -0500, stalker wrote:

> mail is written to /var/spool/mail/username
> and not to /home/username/Maildir/

This has nothing to do with dovecot, its the MDA

> How do I get sendmail or what ever MTA processes mail to write to
> Maildir rather than /var/spool/sendmail?

First you need to find out what SMTP server you are using, if it is
sendmail, it will work with maildir, but its much much more involved to
get it to, since its internal MDA mail.local, is mbox - better to avoid
headaches since you seem rather new at this, and use postfix (if you're
not already) since maildir (and mbox) is native to it,  place in main.cf

home_mailbox = Maildir/

long time since I've used system user accounts, but it should work then.