[Dovecot] warning regarding quota and mboxes

Andreas Meyer anmeyer at anup.de
Tue Jan 15 18:25:02 EET 2013

Hello!

Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:

> On Thu, 2013-01-10 at 16:45 +0100, Andreas Meyer wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> > We drive mboxes and maildirs and the dovecot-server is running very well and
> > everthing is fine, but I get the following warning in the dovecot-lda-errors.log
> > when a mail is delivered to a mbox.
> >
> > Jan 10 16:29:24 lda(archiv at bitcorner.de): Warning: quota: Namespace '' is not Maildir, skipping for Maildir++ quota
> >
> > This is what I defined in the dovecot.conf:
> >
> > mail_home = /var/spool/vhosts/%d/%n
> > mail_location = mbox:~/:maildir:~/
>
> How is that setting even working? You're using some early v2.0? It's
> supposed to fail:

# dovecot --version
2.1.7

I was told to define mail_location, if I remember right it was when I
changed to dovecot-lda instead of letting postfix deliver dircetly to
the maildirs and mailboxes.

> Error: user x: Initialization failed: Namespace '': Unknown setting:
> maildir

I have no errors like this in the logs. Everthing is working flawless.

How can I know, what namespaces are defined?

# doveconf -d namespace
# doveconf -n namespace

give not output. I fear to do something wrong, when I define incomplete
namespaces.

> > mail_plugins = quota
> >
> > plugin {
> >     quota = maildir:User quota
> >     quota_rule = *:storage=500MB
> >     quota_rule2 = Trash:storage=+10%%
> > }
> >
> > Can I avoid the error above somehow? Namespaces are a bit mysterious for
> > me at the moment.
>
> Maildir++ quota works only when delivering to Maildir. If you want to
> use some quota backend that works with both mboxes and maildirs, you
> could use dict file: http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Quota/Dict

ok, I'll live with the warning in the log for now.

  Andreas