[Dovecot] Benchmarking: Dovecot vs Courier. Courier wins as POP3 server

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Jan 17 06:33:33 EET 2013

On 17.1.2013, at 6.23, Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:

> On 17.1.2013, at 1.47, Alexandr Sabitov <alexandr.sabitov at netregistry.com.au> wrote:
>
>> I do not see anything else to tweak in Dovecot to increase POP3 performance. Can we all have some tips to improve it please ?

Oh, and because of Dovecot index files it has to do a bit more work than Courier, so with indexes Dovecot POP3 is probably slower for POP3 clients that download+delete all mails, but faster when POP3 clients leave (a lot of) mail lying around on the server. You could get Courier-like unindexed behavior by setting:

mail_location = maildir:~/:INDEX=MEMORY