[Dovecot] Benchmarking: Dovecot vs Courier. Courier wins as POP3 server

Robert Schetterer rs at sys4.de
Thu Jan 17 10:48:20 EET 2013

Am 17.01.2013 08:30, schrieb Frank Elsner:
> On Wed, 16 Jan 2013 23:47:33 +0000 Alexandr Sabitov wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I have compared Dovecot performance to Courier and it appears that as a POP3 server Dovecot is slower in 2 times but as an IMAP server it is faster in 1.5 times. The same node (16CPUs), testing time is 30 min, please see results and dovecot configs attached.
>> Benchmark software is MStone used by Sendmail Inc so is is quite reliable.
>>
>> I do not see anything else to tweak in Dovecot to increase POP3 performance. Can we all have some tips to improve it please ?
>
> The Middle Age has called, it wants POP3 back.
>
> --Frank Elsner

i have about 1000 pop3 tls logins per minute with dovecot ( one server )
( real users ! ) so its simply fast enough,
in real live , after optimize dovecot setup to your needs,
at some point you will use loadbalancers/directors etc
to pump up performance  thats for all pop3 server you might use

Best Regards
MfG Robert Schetterer

--
[*] sys4 AG