[Dovecot] Mail logger question

Hungerburg pch14 at myzel.net
Mon Jan 21 21:47:57 EET 2013

Am 2013-01-21 19:59, schrieb Hungerburg:
> I use Dovecot simply as a way, to provide an e-mail archive for people
> on the LAN, where they can move messages into from within thunderbird.
> Mails are stored in a maildir of one system user where all the people
> know the password of. This was very easy to setup in ubuntu 12.
>
> Today I started using the mail_log plugin to provide an audit trail. Now
> I am looking for a light way, to get the log reflect the different
> people or principals.
>
> Can you suggest a simple way, without going virtual users?

Seems, virtual users are not that hard anyway, and get me exactly, what
I want: a list of aliases for a single system user in a separate file.
It even is compatible with the old setup.

$ dovecot -n
# 2.0.19: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: Linux 3.2.0-35-generic x86_64 Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS
mail_plugins = " fts fts_squat mail_log notify"
passdb {
   driver = pam
}
passdb {
   args = /etc/dovecot/passwd
   driver = passwd-file
}
plugin {
   fts = squat
   fts_squat = partial=4 full=10
   mail_log_events = save delete undelete expunge copy mailbox_delete
mailbox_rename
   mail_log_fields = uid box msgid size from subject
}
protocols = " imap"
ssl_cert = </etc/ssl/certs/ssl-cert-snakeoil.pem
ssl_key = </etc/ssl/private/ssl-cert-snakeoil.key
userdb {
   driver = passwd
}
userdb {
   args = uid=archiv gid=archiv home=/home/archiv
   driver = static
}

Thank you again!

Peter