[Dovecot] dovecot 2.1.13, proxy and nologin extras field

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Jan 24 12:59:06 EET 2013

On Wed, 2013-01-23 at 13:44 +0100, Marco Giunta wrote:
> Hi at all,
> in our test environment, I'm playing with dovecot 2.1.13 configured as
> imap/pop/managesieve proxy. It is configured to authenticate users with
> ldap and it works very well.
>
> Now, I'd like to temporary disable some users's login, because we are
> moving to another storage, and I wouldn't stop imap service at all.
>
> I've found on Dovecot wiki that I could use 'nologin' extra field, but I
> wasn't been able to get it work. My dovecot configuration is:

nologin field doesn't work with proxying. You'd have to return neither
"proxy" nor "host" field. With host+nologin it would be treated as a
login referral:
http://wiki2.dovecot.org/PasswordDatabase/ExtraFields/Host

Of course it would be possible to add yet another check where proxy+host
+nologin returned would be treated in yet another way, but that gets too
confusing..

I guess it was a mistake to use "nologin" for login referrals in the
first place. And I guess just about no one uses them anyway. So them, so
it would be possible to change this behavior..