[Dovecot] Access to deleted mails in mdbox storage

Wolfgang.Friebel at desy.de Wolfgang.Friebel at desy.de
Tue Jan 8 11:24:07 EET 2013

Hi Timo,

we are currently running dovecot 2.1.10 using mdbox storage. Sometimes we
get requests from users to restore accidentally deleted mails. If the
mails got deleted before a backup was made, such mails could of course not
be restored from backup. One option to help users in this respect would be
to use the lazy expunge plugin.

On the other hand I have seen, that the deleted mails stay intact in the
mdbox storage until a doveadm purge has been performed. Therefore without
using the plugin it is in principle possible to get access to any deleted
mails. As in our case the expunge runs once a week while the backup is
done daily we can basically recover all mails ever received.

My question: doveadm has currently no command similar to doveadm search or
fetch to get to deleted mails. Would it be useful to have such a command?

As a proof of concept I wrote a little script to mimic the doveadm fetch
as closely as possible given the limited amount of information in the
mdbox/storage/m.* files and could indeed get access to deleted mails. Do
you regard such a procedure (within doveadm) useful or would you recommend
nevertheless using the lazy expunge plugin?

I am aware of the fact that this is a solution for mdbox storage only.
--
Wolfgang Friebel                   Deutsches Elektronen-Synchrotron DESY
Phone/Fax:  +49 33762 77372/216    Platanenallee 6