[Dovecot] Squat FTS plugin not kicking in

Frerich Raabe raabe at froglogic.com
Tue Jan 8 22:40:02 EET 2013

Hi,

I'm running Dovecot 2.1.12 on FreeBSD. I configured Dovecot to use the Squat plugin to provide faster full-text searches. The output of 'dovecot -n' is attached to this mail.

However, I just noticed that this plugin doesn't seem to kick in. A raw telnet session seems to confirm this:

[..]
. SEARCH BODY abcdefg
* OK Searched 57% of the mailbox, ETA 0:06
* SEARCH 3425 6254 14710
. OK Search completed (17.262 secs).
. SEARCH BODY abcdefg
* OK Searched 63% of the mailbox, ETA 0:05
* SEARCH 3425 6254 14710
. OK Search completed (18.651 secs).
[..]

A SEARCH BODY command doesn't create the dovecot.index.search or dovecot.index.search.uids files mentioned on http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Plugins/FTS/Squat . Also, two subsequent SEARCH BODY invocations don't seem to be any different as far as search time goes.

I checked the logs but couldn't see anything which is related, except:

Jan  8 21:36:10 imap2 dovecot: indexer-worker(frerich): Indexed 0 messages in INBOX

Does anybody have some idea how to get more logging out of index-worker, or whether there's a flaw in my configuration?

Frerich Raabe - raabe at froglogic.com
www.froglogic.com - Multi-Platform GUI Testing