[Dovecot] Confused about "Authentication Mechanism" and "Password Schemes"

Thomas Pries seirp.samoht at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 10 13:44:17 EET 2013

Hi,

I am currently setting up a Mailserver and decided to use Dovecot as
IMAP/POP3-Server. I read the wiki an thought about how to transmit and
store the passwords (I want to use a MySQL-database).

I want to use encrypted transmission and encrypted storage. The wiki says:

"If you want to use only one non-plaintext mechanism, you can store the
passwords using the mechanism's own password scheme. "

Ok, one secure mechanism is acceptable in my scenario and the wiki gives
a list of supported authentication mechanisms and a list of supported
password schemes.

But I am missing the relation between the two lists, which mechanism
expects which storage scheme?

Did I overlooked any easy answer (other then "read the RFCs").

Best Regards
Thomas