[Dovecot] help with public namespace/mailbox

michael at los-pollos.co michael at los-pollos.co
Tue Jan 29 14:56:54 EET 2013

Dear all, I am hoping someone can help me with a problem that I have been
trying to fix for days. Using postfix and dovecot 2.0.19 on Ubuntu 12.04
with LDAP authentication and virtual users and domains.

Basically I want to setup both shared and public mailboxes. The shared part
is working fine, ie I can share folders successfully and other uses can see
them. However when I try and create sub folders in the public folder they
don't show up in the client. I have tried creating them in manually in the
filesystem ie mkdir .folder and also via thunderbird.  I have read through
the dovecot wiki's several times over and still cannot see why it won't
work. I have debug turned on and these are the log messages I get in syslog
when I start up thunderbird:

acl: No lookup right to mailbox: public/folder

acl vfile: file /home/example.com/public/.folder/dovecot-acl not found

acl vfile: file /home/example.com/public/dovecot-acl not found

So I create the dovecot-acl file manually in public and set the right file
system permissions and the errors go away, yet the folder still doesn't get
created despite the following getting logged in syslog.

Jan 29 23:43:57 alpha dovecot: imap(testuser at example.com): Debug: Namespace
public/: /home/example.com/public/.folder2 doesn't exist yet, using default
permissions

Jan 29 23:43:57 alpha dovecot: imap(testuser at example.com): Debug: Namespace
public/: Using permissions from /home/example.com/public: mode=0777 gid=-1

Right now I am thinking the problem might be that I am trying to setup both
shared and public namespaces within the same configuration and therefore
dovecot is looking for acl's for the public when it shouldn't be? Feel like
I am stabbing in the dark with this though.

Any help anyone can offer will be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Regards, Michael.

Here is my dovecot.conf

# 2.0.19: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf

# OS: Linux 2.6.32-042stab072.10 i686 Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS

auth_debug_passwords = yes

auth_socket_path = /var/run/dovecot/auth-master

auth_verbose = yes

disable_plaintext_auth = no

lda_mailbox_autocreate = yes

log_timestamp = "%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S "

mail_debug = yes

mail_gid = vmail

mail_location = maildir:~/Maildir

mail_plugins = quota acl

mail_privileged_group = mail

mail_uid = vmail

namespace {

  inbox = yes

  location =

  prefix =

  separator = /

  type = private

}

namespace {

  hidden = no

  inbox = no

  list = yes

  location =
maildir:/home/%%d/%%n/Maildir:INDEX=/home/%d/%n/Maildir/Shared/%%n

  prefix = Shared/%%n/

  separator = /

  subscriptions = no

  type = shared

}

namespace {

  hidden = no

  list = yes

  location = maildir:/home/%d/public

  prefix = public/

  separator = /

  subscriptions = no

  type = public

}

passdb {

  args = /etc/dovecot/dovecot-ldap.conf.ext

  driver = ldap

}

passdb {

  driver = pam

}

plugin {

  acl = vfile

  acl_anyone = allow

  acl_shared_dict = file:/home/%d/shared-mailboxes.db

  quota = maildir

  quota_rule = *:storage=25GB

  quota_rule2 = Trash:storage=+10%%

  quota_warning = storage=95%% /usr/local/bin/quota-warning.sh 95

}

postmaster_address = postmaster at example.com

protocols = imap pop3

quota_full_tempfail = yes

sendmail_path = /usr/lib/sendmail

service auth {

    group = postfix

    mode = 0660

    user = postfix

  }

  unix_listener auth-master {

    group = vmail

    mode = 0600

    user = vmail

  }

  user = root

}

service imap-login {

  chroot = login

  executable = /usr/lib/dovecot/imap-login

  inet_listener imap {

    address = *

    port = 143

  }

  inet_listener imaps {

    address = *

    port = 993

    ssl = yes

  }

  user = dovecot

}

service imap {

  executable = /usr/lib/dovecot/imap

}

service pop3-login {

  chroot = login

  inet_listener pop3 {

    address = *

    port = 110

  }

  inet_listener pop3s {

    address = *

    port = 995

    ssl = yes

  }

  user = dovecot

}

ssl_cert = </etc/ssl/certs/alpha.example.com.crt

ssl_key = </etc/ssl/private/alpha.example.com.key

userdb {

  args = /etc/dovecot/dovecot-ldap.conf.ext

  driver = ldap

}

userdb {

  driver = passwd

}

protocol imap {

  mail_plugins = quota imap_quota acl imap_acl

}

protocol pop3 {

  mail_plugins = quota

  pop3_uidl_format = %08Xu%08Xv