[Dovecot] Samba4 and user auth

Pavel Herrmann morpheus.ibis at gmail.com
Mon Jul 1 14:05:10 EEST 2013

Hi

On Monday 01 July 2013 12:36:39 Carsten Laun-De Lellis wrote:
> Hi Pavel
>
> Thankx for your reply.
>
> When you were setting up your ldap query what kind of password crypto
> did you specify plain ntlm gssapi or anything else? The password field
> in your query is userPassword or am I wrong here?

the password field is hidden (only the user can see it) by default, and not
stored as a unix-friendly value (anything a crypt() would understand)
what I use is auth_bind (which uses user-supplied password to bind to the LDAP
directory).

what it means is that on every login there are 2 lookups (first one using your
"service" DN to find the user DN, second one with your user DN to check the
password)

that also means that you need a password format that your LDAP can understand
(mostly a plaintext password, or NTLM if your mail server is a Samba domain
member). As long as you only offer IMAP/SSL I dont think plaintext (as in
"auth_mechanisms = plain") is an issue, security wise.

as far as the service account (the one that is used to look up users) goes, I
am using the default option (setting "dn" and "dnpass" variables), which I
think is a simple bind. it is possible that it only works because Samba4 and
dovecot run on the same machine.

Pavel Herrmann