[Dovecot] flat file in tmpfs for dict quota

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Jul 4 04:31:36 EEST 2013

On 27.6.2013, at 19.44, Ken A <ka at pacific.net> wrote:

> I'm using dict quota like so:
>
> quota = dict:User quota::file:/[path]/quotas/%u
>
> [path]/quotas/ is a tmpfs.
>
> The idea is to do less work on disk.

There are no fsync() or fdatasync() calls to quota files. Ideally if the system had enough memory and the disk IO wasn't used up all the time, it wouldn't waste any time on unnecessary disk writes. Now, whether the current OSes worked that way I don't really know.. I think there are quite a lot of settings for that though. Placing quota files (and maybe indexes) on a different mount point would allow changing such settings.