[Dovecot] Services not starting in 2.1 (or 2.2)

Tommy Wareing tommyw at ntlworld.com
Wed Jul 10 15:09:01 EEST 2013

On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 06:33:55AM -0400, Charles Marcus wrote:
> On 2013-07-10 5:28 AM, Tommy Wareing <tommyw at ntlworld.com> wrote:
> >I'm trying to install Dovecot onto my QNAP NAS.
>
> Which device, and what version of OS?

Whoops! Sorry, I was concentrating too much on the specifics of the
problem, and not enough on my setup!

It's a TS-869L, with version 4.0.1 of the firmware. (So it's running on
an Intel Atom CPU, if that's at all relevant)

uname -a reports:
Linux qnap.mrwolf.afraid.org 3.4.6 #1 SMP Tue Jun 4 20:08:41 CST 2013 x86_64 GNU/Linux
and dovecot -n agrees:
# OS: Linux 3.4.6 x86_64  ext4

> QNAP NAS devices are notorious for having ancient versions of
> critical OS software (like the kernel, glib, OpenSSL, etc)...

Yup, I'd already tripped over that quite a lot. I've installed updates
from ipkg, but those aren't the most up to date either (dovecot 1.2.0
beta!)

I'm happy to check for further updates of "stuff", or supply version
numbers, or run other diagnostics, but without knowing the sort of
"stuff" I'm looking for, that's probably not helpful.

make check, incidentally, passes satisfactorily on all three builds.

> If you haven't already, check and see if the new 4.x OS version is
> available for your device, and if so, and you aren't already running
> it, update it, and try again.
Already done.

> Otherwise, you'd probably get much better help on the QNAP forums...

I'm trying there as well. But trying to identify an active, relevant
sub-forum is an interesting challenge in its own right :) Fingers
crossed!

--
Tommy Wareing